On a recent event, Garmin has announced a helicopter flight control system, aiming to increase pilot safety and reduce their workload.
Garmin has included safety features to GFC 600H. They are as follows:
- While hand-flying, SAS (Stability augmentation system) improves basic handling.
- In case the pilot exceeds airspeed limits, roll or pitch during hand-flying operations, H-ESP (Helicopter Electronic Stability & Protection) initiates corrective force, keeping the aircraft in a safe mode.
- Whenever a pilot senses spatial disorientation, he can activate Garmin LVL (Return-to-level) mode to recover the helicopter to the usual attitude and prevent the loss of control.
- GFC 600H detects the hover condition and on applying the hover assist mode, pilots are able to control the inputs and maintain the stable aircraft position.
- Low speed and over speed protection.
- Garmin says GFC 600H is capable to function independently as well as work with other navigation sources, compatible instruments, and flight displays such as G500H Txi, G5000H and new Garmin product.
Garmin awaits Supplemental Type Certification, in the fourth quarter of this year, for Airbus AS350 B2/B3.