Here is in this article, we have covered two methods to set up wireless connection on your Canon PIXMA MG3540 printer. Go through all the steps and methods to set up the wireless connection for your Canon printer.
First Method: Set up wireless connection using WPS connection method
Many access points (sometimes known as hubs or routers) have a kind of automatic connection button called “WPS” that is an acronym for Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
With this, any permitted device like your PIXMA MG3540 can directly connect to your network and you need to enter a password every time. So, this is a very easy and quick method for connection.
This is the most easier method to connect your PIXMA MG3540 printer, so in case there is a WPS button on your point then follow below instructions to connect your device to your network with WPS connection method.
Before starting to set up this connection, there are a set of conditions that need to be met to use WPS method, which are as follows:
- It’s is necessary that the access point have a physical WPS button that you push to enable it. For details, check the user guide with your device. In case the WPS button isn’t available then use Standard Connection Method instead.
- Ensure that your network is utilizing (Wi-Fi Protected Access) WPA or WPA2 security protocol. Though, most WPS-enabled gadgets utilize this protocol.
Ensure that the printer is powered on.
Push and hold Wi-Fi button which you can find on the top of your printer. Keep holding this button until alarm light is lit once.
Ensure that the lamp beside the WiFi button begins to flash blue then go to access point and within 2 minutes you need to press the WPS button.
To know the correct information about starting WPS on your access point, you should read its guide.
You’ll find that the blue WiFi lamp keeps flashing when searching for the network, and when connecting to the router (access point), the Wi-Fi and the power lamp will flash.
Once the printer is successfully connected to your network, you’ll find that WiFi and the power lamp stop flashing but remains lit.
How to confirm the network setting?
Once your device is connected to your network now you want to confirm the network settings, if so, then it is possible. You can pint a network setting report by following the below steps:
- Ensure that your printer is switched on.
- Now load a letter-sized or A4 size plain paper sheet into the printer.
- Next, simply push and hold Resume/Cancel You need to keep holding the button until alarm button flashes 15 times, then release the button.
Now you should get a printout with network setting information on it.
When you see the printout, check “Connection” setting. It should indicate “Active” and the SSID (your wireless network name) should specify the correct name.
If everything is on the right track, install the printer software to start with your printer. In case you don’t have an installation CD, download software and manuals by choosing your product.
If the wireless set up isn’t successful, then try the below method.
Second Method: Standard Connection Method
In case your access point doesn’t support WPS connection method then you can use the ‘Standard Connection Method’ to connect your device to your network.
- If you are a Windows operating system user, then take the CD that came with your device and put it in CD ROM. Run the setup in it.
In case you don’t have the CD (that comes with the product) or you are Mac user, download the manual and software for your device by choosing your product.
- Click on Next option as soon as you find the initial screen.
For Mac PC’s only
When you will find the screen saying “Set up is trying to install a new helper tool. Type your password to allow this.” on your Mac, enter your password and click on “Install Helper” option. A new screen will appear, click “Next”.
Note: A screen should appear asking you to choose a network connection between wireless or USB connection, choose wireless connection option.
- Make sure that your printer is switched on. Also, ensure that the power lamp is lit then click Next.
- First of all, click on “Connect to the network” option.
2. Now the Setup Procedure Selection screen will appear, click on “Cableless setup” option there.
Note: If you are a Windows XP user then choose “Other setup” method as it doesn’t support the cableless install method and go to step 5.
- Once you find the “Connection via Cableless setup” appears, then press and hold the Wi-Fi button of your printer until the orange light bulb flashes 2 twice, release the button after the 2nd flash.
4. Make sure that the Wi-Fi lamp (blue) flashes promptly and the power lamp (green) remains lit. Now click on Next.
Note: During the setup, the network connection will be disabled for a while. Tap Next.
- For Windows XP OS users choose “Wireless Setup Using the USB Cable” option.
- You must see a screen asking you to choose the region where you reside, choose the region where you live and click Next.
2. You may find the screen again to choose the region you live, choose the region and click Next.
3. As soon as you find the Software installation list screen the choose the programs that you want to install and click Next. In case you are not sure which software to install, don’t worry! Because you can install any program later.
4. Once you find the end user license agreement screen, click Yes to accept it.
For Windows users, if a new screen appears, click Next.
- You’ll find a screen showing your printer’s model network name or SSID of the wireless network. For Windows (except Windows XP) click on Complete.
The Windows Cableless setup is completed here.
Important: If you are a Windows XP user, or have an operating system that is not able to detect the printer, then follow the USB installation procedure given in step 6.
For Mac users: When Add Printer screen appears, click “Add Printer” button. In the next screen, choose driver version “Canon IJ Network” and then click Add button. Now, click on Next to finish the setup.
The Mac cableless setup is completed here.
If the printer isn’t detected on your OS, then use a USB cable for connection and go to step 6.
- Choose “Set up network connection via USB” option, and tap Next.
7. As soon as Connect Cable screen appears, hook up your computer and printer with the USB cable that came with your device. This cable has symbol on it.
In case of a Mac user, simply click on Next.
- When your printer has been identified, you’ll find a screen sowing your access point name to which your PC is connected to. If you want to connect the printer to this wireless network, then click Yes.
For Mac system, an access permission screen will appear, click on Allow.
- When the Disconnect Cable screen appears, disconnect the cable and tap Next.
Click on the Complete button when Setup Completion screen appears.
The printer will be detected, and you’ll get a screen displaying the access point name to which your computer is connected to. Now click on OK.
Click on Add Printer button in the Add Printer screen. Next, choose the driver version as Canon IJ Network then click on Add.
Click on Next to finish the setup. Finally, the wireless setup for Mac system has been completed.
After following all the steps and methods given, if you are still experiencing problems setting up the wireless connection, then don’t worry. You can simply ask for experts’ help to troubleshoot the issue. Apart from this, you can also get solutions to all other issues regarding any Canon printer model. You can get complete solutions to all Canon printers at a single desk. Contact our Canon printers customer support experts and resolve your problems within no time.