The biggest problem a CenturyLink internet customer has to face is slow internet speed. It has been seen that even after paying for a high-speed internet package, customers never achieved a satisfactory speed. If you are also struggling with your CenturyLink internet speed, here is a troubleshoot option which you can perform to increase your internet speed.
Troubleshooting CenturyLink Slow Internet
Connect Only One Device
If you are having slow internet, try connecting it with only one device while disconnecting with others.
- Make sure no one is using video streaming or playing online games.
- Keep in mind that when you use internet on your computer, the fastest speed you can achieve is with Ethernet cable so make sure you are using an Ethernet cable for internet connections.
- Do not use various content streaming devices such as Apple TV, Roku and Chromecast simultaneously.
- Make sure there are limited numbers of connections from a single source. If you connect more than six platforms at one time, the internet speed will divide automatically and you will have to face slow speed.
Don’t Use A Filter Device With Your Modem
When you connect a data filter device with your modem, it gets impossible to achieve the highest internet speed provided by your internet provider. If you have a modem provided by your ISP, you do not need a modem filter to reduce other obstacles. It not only creates power issue as they need battery to work but also interferes with the signal strength of your device. So, if you are using a modem filter, try connecting your modem without any filter and perform a speed test.
Look For Any Physical Damage
Make sure your modem or router is not damaged and all the wires connecting with your device are connected securely. If any of your cable is damaged, it may not be supplying internet or may create a disturbance in internet service. Also make sure the modem ports are not riddled with dust. Always keep your device in a neat place.
Device Update And Programs
Make sure no connected device is on automatic update or is currently being updated. If you have turned ON the device update option in any of your device, it will start the update process as soon as a new update is made available. Device updating usually takes up to an hour and requires a high-speed internet.
Also make sure that you do not have any malware programs installed in your system. They can easily grab a big chunk of your internet speed even though they sit idle in your system. If you have installed any unnecessary software, delete them. You can also try to use the internet by disabling any firewalls installed to increase your internet speed.
Before troubleshooting your device, make sure there are no internet outages in your area. If there is a service outage near your area, it might affect your internet speed also. So check with the CenturyLink regarding any service outages. You can also register a text service so that you will get informed in advance regarding any future service outages.
Make sure that the browser you are using is up to date and is compatible with your internet speed. Many internet browsers are known to work slow due to their programming so, make sure you are not using one such browser. Google Chrome and Apple Safari are known to work best with all the CenturyLink internet plans.
Power Cycle your Modem
Follow these steps to perform a power cycle on your device:
- Disconnect your modem from the main power source. If you also have a router, unplug all the connection wires from it.
- If you are using a battery-operated modem/router, remove the batteries.
- Connect the wires and plug in your modem/router with main power outlet.
- Press the reset button for 15 seconds until the lights start blinking on the device.
- Wait until the internet (INT) lights are turned ON on your device. Once internet lights start blinking, check if the internet speed increases.
Bandwidth Of Your Content Provider
Various online gaming and video streaming sites use ISP bandwidth to deliver seamless services. But during peak hours when there is high demand for contents, a user from a particular ISP may get slow speed during the service. If you are facing slow internet on a particular site, try to access it after some time.
Equipment To Meet With Your Speed
Most of the normal modems come with the maximum speed of 1GBPS and achieving such speed by a normal browser is simply impossible. If you got a CenturyLink internet package with 1 GIG speed, make sure you have the proper equipment to meet the requirement. Or you had better get a modem which is capable of getting at least 2 GIG speed.